Throughout the internet and the bookstore there are plenty of brilliant and informative resources about crystals.
1. Acknowledge that they are living beings: Nikola Tesla said, “In a crystal we have clear evidence of the existence of a formative life principle, and though we cannot understand the life of a crystal, it is nonetheless a living being.” He was right. Embrace that. Crystals and minerals are a form of life and are conscious living beings. They are not tools to be used, but rather, allies to be partnered with. While the organizational groupings within the mineral kingdom are useful for understanding basic characteristics of crystals types (i.e. rose quartz is for the heart, amethyst is for the third eye), each individual crystal has had its own unique evolutionary process, comes from its own unique location, has a unique vibrational signature, and ultimately has its own autonomous purpose for existing. This is exciting. It means that 100 different quartz crystals, for instance, are 100 totally different potential lessons, types of medicine, etc. Be open to that.
2. Put them in your mouth: Yes, you heard me right. Put them in your mouth. Have you ever been in a crystal shop and seen a table full of bowl upon bowl of glittering brightly colored tumbled stones and crystals? They almost look like fruit or candy. I have had many people tell me they want to put crystals in their mouth. My suggestion is: DO IT! Why? Because your tongue is a highly sensitive organ capable of communication and information transfer (think of eating, speaking, kissing, etc.) Because of this, when you put the stone in your mouth, a natural interaction will occur whereby you can learn a lot about the stone and it can communicate freely to you. Listen. See how it makes you feel, what imagery you may get, if you feel more focused, etc. As an example, when I am performing rituals, doing healing work, or meditating I will often put my tumbled moonstone in my mouth and I find that it heightens my openness and my intuition. The other important reason this works is because the energy of the crystal is absorbed by your saliva, which you then swallow and ingest. I Will explain more about this phenomena in tip number 4. Before you put a stone in your mouth make sure it is physically and spiritually cleansed. You can find any number of ways to cleanse crystals online. (Disclaimer: not all stones are safe to put in your mouth, some stones are water soluble and will break down. If in doubt please check This List First and understand that I am primarily referring to tumbled stones because they have no sharp edges. Please don’t start gnawing on a delicious looking quartz point.)
3. Be a good listener: This ties into tip number 1. With the understanding that crystals are living beings, listen to them. Obviously I don’t mean “listen” in the sense that you are hoping the crystal is going to bust out some spoken word poetry or a monologue in the English language. I mean tune in with your intuition and with your heart. Some people hear music coming from crystals, some crystals quietly whisper their story to a tuned-in listener, some crystals transport you elsewhere, some crystals reflect yourself to you like a mirror. Realize that any one crystal may reflect different energy or information from day to day- just like a person. They are infinitely multifaceted. Respect them and be open to what they have to teach.
4. Put them in your water: Many people have caught onto this practice. Placing crystals and gemstones in your water is a basic yet powerful alchemy practice. The basic idea is that each stone carries a certain vibration that can benefit and help balance, uplift, and heal us. Water is a substance which is easily imprinted with the information and energy it is subjected to. When you place a crystal in a glass of fresh spring water overnight or for a few hours, the energy from the crystal is imprinted in the water. Then, when you drink the water, the water and the cells that make up your body are informed and transformed by the information in the water. Try this: If you have a few crystals, pick one that calls to you. Trust your gut. Put it in some clean spring water overnight and drink when you wake up in the morning. Focus your gratitude towards the water and crystal, and all of life. Understand that a simple focused ritual such as this can totally shift your state of being. (Please exercise the same caution I suggested in #1- make sure the crystal will not dissolve In water.)
5. Carry them with you: When you carry a stone with you its vibration is added to your overall vibration. Crystals have complex and perfectly geometric molecular makeups called crystal systems. If you were to look at them under a microscope, you would see that there is complete cohesion in the patterns of interacting molecules and that, depending on the crystal, there are repeating geometric shapes. This is a brilliant example of sacred geometry- and that’s a whole other article for another time. We as humans as well have a crystalline structure. When we carry a crystal with us all day, it will shift the rate at which we vibrate, and help bring us into alignment with a greater state of well-being. This is particularly true for gemstones worn in jewelry. Putting crystals and stones with metals like silver, copper, or gold increases their effects. This is because crystals transmit electromagnetic energy and metal is electrically conductive. The metals help the energy spread and circulate in and around our body and energy field.